Sweet Point - Butterfield Lake
Theresa, New York
Near the Thousand Islands
When the warranty deed was
purchased for this property in 1861, Abraham Lincoln was sworn in as the 16th
President of the United States, the American Civil War begins with the bombardment of Fort Sumter, South Carolina, and Nevada is organized as a United States territory. This point is two acres in size and sits on the
inlet end of Butterfield Lake. Butterfield Lake’s physical features are: area –
493 acres, length – 4 miles, maximum depth – 49 feet (most of the lake is under
20 feet), maximum width – 0.6 mile, and elevation – 276 feet. Muskalonge Point
got its name from muskellunge, which refers to a large fish of the pike family.
Common fish in the lake are: walleye, pike, bass, perch, sunfish, bluegill, and
bullhead. The history of ownership of Muskalonge Point, now referred to as
Sweet Point, has only gone through six families since the Avery’s purchase in
Prior to 1931 this rustic retreat was known as Oak Lodge. On
January 22, 1931 the Sweet family became the fifth owner of Muskalonge Point.
People began to refer to Muskalonge Point as Sweet Point bearing their last
name. Research completed by the Sweet family indicates that the cottage was
constructed in 1900. By 1910, fisherman and other visitors to Redwood were
mailing postcards showing a large, pleasant looking camp called Oak Lodge. It
is not certain if the structure was originally built as a lodge for fisherman
or for a private camp, however when the Sweet’s bought the place all of the
upstairs bedrooms had numbers on the doors indicating that it had once been
operated as a small hotel for campers and fisherman.
cottage is a two story structure with its’ foundation and fireplace made of
Potsdam sandstone (used for making Redwood glass). The interior is constructed
entirely of wood. A series of glass globes filled with liquid hang on the walls
in various strategic locations. These were to be thrown onto a fire should one
ever erupt inside the premises. Prior to 1940, the cottage was lit entirely by
kerosene lamps, which hang on the walls to this day. Electricity was outfitted
via utility poles in 1944 and 2012.
as was the case with most of the older cottages on Butterfield Lake, there was
once an icehouse there built in two tiers. Crews would go around and cut ice
out of the lake every winter. They would skid the ice up out of the lake,
across the pine needles and then into the icehouse where it was layered with
sawdust and would last up to two years. An outhouse was built in 1936 and is
still there and in use today for emergencies. Modern indoor plumbing was
equipped in 1944 and 2012.
Sweet family owned the cottage for 79 years. Families have celebrated many
happy occasions at Sweet Point. As the newest owners of this historic cottage,
our hope is that many more families can continue to make their own memories.
With that in mind, our goal is to maintain the nostalgia of the premises
so we ask that you please be careful and kind.